A bright and gorgeous slaw so healthy, so you can enjoy bowl after bowl of deliciousness.
I have always been a huge fan of cabbage salad. My mom makes the traditional kind with white cabbage, carrots, and orange juice. But I love red cabbage and the gorgeous color it adds to the slaw.
I love the fresh note the dill adds and this salad is influenced by my love of tzatziki (a Greek yogurt dip with dill and cucumbers).
The tart green apples balance out the sweet and chewy dried apricots. It’s brilliant and guaranteed to become a staple on your dinner table.
Apple Dill & Apricot Slaw
FOR THE SALAD
- 1 red cabbage shredded into thin strips
- 1 bunch dill -chopped
- 2 green apples – cored and cut into thin slivers (can use a mandolin)
- ¼ red onion – sliced into slivers
- 1 fennel bulb & stalks OR 6 sticks of celery – cut into slivers
- 3 TBS poppy seeds
- 1cup dried apricots cut into thin strips
FOR THE DRESSING
- ¾ cup mayo
- 1 cup of plain Greek yogurt ****
- 1 lemon – juice and zest
- 1 TBS Dijon wholegrain with seeds
- Lots of Coarse Salt and Black pepper to taste
Mix all the ingredients for the salad dressing together and set aside.
Add the cabbage, dill, apples, onion, fennel/celery, poppy seeds, and apricots to a large bowl.
An hour before serving, toss the salad with the dressing. Massage with a glove or hands to evenly coat. Serve at room temperature.
**** If you want a dairy free alternative you can leave out the yoghurt and just use 1 ½ cups of mayo.